What is carbon monoxide poisoning and how is it caused?
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a buildup of carbon monoxide in your bloodstream when you inhale the carbon monoxide from the air surrounding you. The oxygen in your red blood cells gets replaced by carbon monoxide, affects the tissues and cause a carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that gets mixed in the air by leakage from a gas appliance or burning of gasoline, charcoal, wood other fuels. It also gets generated by appliances and engines that are not properly installed, maintained or ventilated.
Causes of carbon monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide primarily accumulates in the air when any an organic compound like fuel, wood, gasoline is burnt. A malfunctioning or obstructing of the exhaust due to poor installation or maintenance appliances cause the carbon monoxide to a build-up in air.
Inhaling such air causes carbon monoxide to mix with red blood cells and reduce its oxygen-carrying capacity. This reduced the level of oxygen in the blood severely affects the tissues which lead to fatigue, shortness of breath or even death.
Carbon monoxide is produced by many appliances in our home that burn fuel. These include:
a. Gas appliances such as water heaters, space heaters, gas lanterns, and ovens that burn fuel.
b. Heating systems that are not properly installed or maintained properly. These cause leakage of carbon monoxide in the air surrounding you.
c. Gasoline and diesel-powered generators that are installed in and around your home
d. Leaving a car engine on running in the garage that is attached to your home.
e. Using lawn equipment or engines in a closed area.
f. Blocked furnace and chimneys due to poor maintenances.
g. Indoor fireplaces that use gas or wood without proper ventilation.
h. Use of Charcoal grills indoors.
i. Burning or fire accident inside a room.
What can you do to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home?
You can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning by installing specific devices, following safety measures, and exercising care and caution when using the appliances that burn fuel. The following simple steps can help you to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home.
a. Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Install detectors that have an audible alarm to automatically alert you of the risk of carbon monoxide.
b. Regular servicing and maintenance of appliances to ensure that the appliances are not damaged, the exhaust gasses are properly thrown out and operates correctly.
c. Never use appliances indoors that are specifically approved for outdoor use.
d. Ensure proper ventilation around the appliances in your home that burns fuel while operating.
e. Install emergency generators at least 20 to 30 feet away from your doors and windows.
f. Ensure the chimneys, flues, and vents are probably maintained without block or damages.
g. Follow to safety standards and instructions as specified in the appliances. Wear protective marks and exercise caution when using appliances and equipment.
h. Be familiar with the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and take necessary emergency medication to minimize the risk.
When you suspect or detected a carbon monoxide leak, you need to immediately switch off all the appliances that burn fuel. Open up all the doors and windows or go out for fresh air and immediately seek medical advice. Inform the local gas utility unit or nearby gas plumber to minimize the risks quickly.
You can greatly reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning by regular service, maintenance, and repairs of gas appliances, heaters, and gas fitting. A professional gasfitter or gas plumber in Rowville provides you a complete, safe and reliable installation, maintenance and repairs of all appliances in your home and helps you prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. You can rely on their services as they are well experienced and certified in providing these services. You are guaranteed to get high quality and professional services in servicing, maintenance, and repairs that gives you peace of mind.